– Dr. Keiki R. Mehta, the Surgical Chief and Director of the Mehta International Eye Institute, graduated from Christian Medical College and completed his post-graduation at the PGI Chandigarh. He then went to London and joined the prestigious Moorefield’s Eye Hospitals and institute of Ophthalmology completing his DO (London) with top honors. He then graduated from Dublin passing the DO (Ireland) with acclaim and to New York, the USA for further advanced Training.
– Dr. Keiki Mehta felt that there was a great need in India for a world where optimal levels of eye care, clinical as well as diagnostic, coupled with the finest surgical treatment would be available.
– Returning to Bombay, he commenced the Colaba Eye Hospital outfitting it with the finest equipment available, from Zeiss (Germany) and setting up Bombay’s first superlative eye clinic and hospital on par with the best institutes abroad.
– Dr. Keiki R. Mehta, at Colaba eye hospital has many firsts’ to his credit.
– Dr. Keiki R. Mehta a pioneer in the field of intra-ocular implants had special training for implanting lances following contract surgery and brought this technology to India.
– He is the first to implant IOL lenses in India, in regular practice, and started the IOL revolution which has saved so many eyes and resulted in good vision for many.
– Dr. Keiki R. Mehta developed the world’s first soft foldable intraocular implant and presented it at the world-renowned American Implant society in San Francisco in the U.S.A. for which he was awarded its Prestigious Appreciation award.
– He developed the first foldable HEMA disc lens and implanted it. Now all lenses are foldable.
– He then turned to Refractive Surgery (decrease spectacle num) and pioneered the use of Radical keratotomy, writing the only textbook on the subject.
– He pioneered the advent of Excimer surgery (now known as LASIK).
– The Mehta International Institute has now acquired the world’s foremost Safest, Superfast and Most Accurate Excimer LASIK Laser, the German “AMARIS” Schwind system, with the revolutionary new Carriazo Pendular Microkeratome, for the first time not only in India but also for the first time in South East Asia and is considered by many the Rolls-Royce of laser systems, to give superlative optical correction.
– Phacoemulsifcation (Laser cataract surgery) was introduced once again by Dr. Mehta at the Coloba Eye Hospital, for the first time in regular practice in India and presented his first papers at the AIOS the next year. He is recognized as the Father of Phacoemulsification Surgery in India.
– True to its international caliber the institute has imported the most advanced cataract surgery machine in the world from Alcon USA, the Infiniti with its revolutionary new Aqualase system for the first time in India. With this new machine.
– He showed how effective the surgery was in the rural milieu and is credited with saving lakhs of eyes with the application of this technique in our rural areas. He is the FIRST and ONLY Indian Surgeon to have been invited to operate LIVE at Video Cataracta, In Milan, Italy. This is Europe’s biggest LIVE SURGERY CONFERENCE, broadcast LIVE to 23 cities in Europe. This is an honor given only to the world’s Finest Surgeons.
– Dr. Mehta remains at the forefront of cataract surgery.
– The Mehta International Eye Hospital is known all over India for its excellence in treatment and surgery, making the hospital a Mecca for ophthalmic care.
– The genesis of the institute was conceived in 1998 in response to a growing need to have a world-class institute in Mumbai, having access to the most advanced and latest equipment, in one coordinated institution. The patient is thus assured of a full-fledged examination of all the various facets of the human eye. Here diagnosis can be carried out quickly, and treatment applied in the fastest possible time.
– Dr. Keiki R. Mehta, is India’s foremost ophthalmic surgeon prolific writer and teacher who has many ophthalmic textbooks to his credit. Having won several Gold Medals both, abroad and here, and numerous awards, with his super surgical skills and excellent diagnostic ability Dr. Keiki R. Mehta is ranked among the leading surgeons in the world. His exemplary surgical performance has earned him invitations all over the world not only to present lectures on the latest innovative surgical techniques but also to perform Live Surgical Demonstrations at all the topmost international Ophthalmic Congresses.
– He is an Honorary Ophthalmologist at the ONO Eye Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland.
– He is also the Honorary Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon to the Governor of Maharashtra, The Armed Forces – Government of India and the Maharashtra Police.
– He has recently received the Padmashree Award this year by the President of India, Smt. Pratibha Patil for his meritorious and exemplary surgical skills and his intensive contribution to Global Ophthalmology.
– The institute offers, for difficult cases, consultation on the Tele Net with world-class leading surgeons around the world thanks to its affiliation with the World Class Swiss ONO Eye Hospital and with the St. Luke Institute, Texas, USA.